- hip joint
- nounthe ball-and-socket joint between the head of the femur and the acetabulum• Syn: ↑hip, ↑coxa, ↑articulatio coxae• Hypernyms: ↑ball-and-socket joint, ↑spheroid joint, ↑cotyloid joint, ↑enarthrodial joint, ↑enarthrosis, ↑articulatio spheroidea• Part Holonyms: ↑thigh, ↑pelvis, ↑pelvic girdle, ↑pelvic arch, ↑hip• Part Meronyms: ↑ischium, ↑ischial bone, ↑os ischii
* * *noun1. : the articulation between the femur and the innominate bone2. : hip II 2b
* * *a ball-and-socket joint between the head of the femur and the innominate bone.[1785-95]
* * *hip joint nounThe articulation of the head of the thigh bone with the ilium• • •Main Entry: ↑hip
* * *hip joint,the joint formed by the upper thighbone and the hipbone.
* * *n. the ball-and-socket joint connecting a leg to the trunk of the body, in which the head of the thigh bone fits into the socket of the ilium
* * *ˈhip joint 7 [hip joint hip joints] nounthe joint that connects the leg to the body, at the top of the ↑thigh bone
Useful english dictionary. 2012.